El Jolgorio Tobala is made from wild maguey Tobala. Growing wildly in high altitudes, its relatively tiny size yields limited quantities of intensely aromatic Mezcal. Gregorio Martinez and Valentin Cortes make this delicious spirit with an artistry that is unsurpassed. This Mezcal is very fresh and aromatic with rich heavy fruits on the nose. The taste is of mango and roasted agave and it is pleasantly viscous.
El Jolgorio is a range of artisanal mezcal from Oaxaca, made from a wide variety of rare, unique agave species. In Mexico, there are around fifty different species of agave used for mezcal production, each yielding a mezcal with its own distinct character. In 2010, the Cortés family began building a collective of top mezcal distillers from around Oaxaca, with the goal of sharing the true culture and spirit of mezcal with the world.
In all, El Jolgorio represents sixteen different families, working in ten different regions of Oaxaca, Mexico, each with its own special story. Every bottle is hand-marked with the specific details of each batch, to truly connect the drinker with the family behind the expression.
AROMA: Sweet on nose, and throughout, but with lots of green.
TASTE: Notes of some clay, minerality, and with pink bubble-gum on the finish. Deep, complex, and spicy, and not as sweet as others
ENJOY: Sipping mezcal is enjoyed slowly and with friends..
Production NotesPlease note: Every care has been taken to ensure our production notes are as acurate as possible. Where you detect any issues, please let us know and we'll fix them right up.
- Master Distiller: Gregorio “Don Goyo” Martinez Garcia,Pedro Vasquez,Valentin Cortes
- Maguey: Espadin
- Town/ Village: Lachigui,San Baltazar Guélavila,Santiago Matatlan
- State: Oaxaca
- Classification: Artisanal Mezcal
- Expression: Joven
- Cooking method: Conical Earthen Pit
- Extraction method: Horse Drawn Tahona
- Fermentation: Wooden Fermentation Tubs
- Still type: Copper Pot
- Distillation: Tripple
- Age Statement: Unaged - Rested in glass
- ABV: 48.0 %
- Website: https://backbarproject.com/portfolio/casa-cortes/
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.