Derrumbes mezcal is a collection of geographically diverse mezcals that have been hand selected by the brand owners. Stretching from Oaxaca to Michoacan and beyond, each bottle of mezcal is made using different agaves and production methods. We are truely lucky to have access to some of these very small batch producers.
Derrumbes Oaxaca showscases the maguey diversity of Oaxaca in a perfectly crafted, blended mezcal. Produced from Espadin and Tobala, it shows off the rich characteristics of the Central Valleys. The maestro mezcalero, Javier Mateo, is a 3rd generation agave farmer in the town of Santiago Matatlan.
TASTE: Lively on the palate, fresh flavours of citrus and pine combine with a rich sweetness from the agave to give a little spiciness again underlined by a subtle smokiness.
Finish: The finish is extremely full, with the sweet character combining with the smokiness to make this mezcal very moreish indeed.
ENJOY: Sipped slowly. Take your time and “kiss” this mezcal. Look past the alcohol and unlock a hidden world of agave goodness
- Village: Santiago Matatlan
- Palenquero: Rogelio Martinez Cruz, Leopoldino Miranda
- State: Oaxaca
- Region: Santiago Matatlan
- Maguey: Espadin, Tobala
- Agave Species: Angustifolia Haw and Tobala
- Age of Maguey: 12-18 years
- Elevation: 1700 M (5577 feet)
- Milling: Tahona
- Cooking: Underground stone pit, black oak
- Fermentation: Wood vats with fiber and pulque as yeast starter
- Water Source: Mitla
- Still Type: Copper put
- ABV of Mezcal: 42.5%